woensdag 4 juni 2008

Evaluation

Evaluation

Now we are at the end of my portfolio as I have to hand it in next Monday. I would like to evaluate this experience by using the questions and aims I set for myself and this period at the first page.

• What do you expect from this class?
During these 3 months I really got to learn my mother’s country better; I could to know the culture in every single aspect and I liked it.
My English didn’t really improve because I didn’t really get a chance to speak proper English. The accents of the Spanish, Turkish and of the Dutch teachers weren’t exactly good examples. I will have to work on my accent as soon I get back to Belgium.
My Dutch developed in such ways that I learnt how to write long formal texts and letters and I discovered my own writing style again. The lessons of Verzorgd Nederlands and Creatief Schrijven were really good and useful.
Of course I was forced to work on my social skills. I was alone when I arrived but now I don’t feel alone anymore. I’ve got friends from Turkey, Spain and the Netherlands. I feel quite European.
During these three months I learnt how to cook (a very little) and I managed to stay alive without any big problems. I already knew I could be independent.
Last but not least, during these months I’ve written down a lot of nice ideas to use during my future as a teacher. Because my personality and independence developed as well, I think I can say I’ve become a better teacher thanks to this experience.
• Did I reach my expectations/goals?
One thing I’ve reached for sure is a broadened view on the world and on society. As Rotterdam is a little version of the world, I got to know a whole lot of different cultures and religions.
Of course I felt lonely from time to time but I managed to get through those difficult moments. I think I’m more mature than when I left.
• What did I learn whilst I was here?
I learnt a lot about the Dutch culture, not only through the lessons of Dutch culture but also by experiencing it. Did you know that you can find a whole range of other products in the shops? Things you can’t find in Belgium and which are very nice or handy are all around.
When it comes to schools, I learnt about the variety there is in schools in the Netherlands and why this variety is there in the first place. During my school visits I also got some nice ideas to use myself.
• What do I want to discover and visit?
A thing I really regret is that I didn’t visit the Anne Frank House. Maybe some other time, Amsterdam is only a few hours away.
I visited a lot of museums and am still planning on going to some as I still feel that art is a very important part of life and society. This conviction only became stronger thanks to these three months.

CONCLUSION:

These three months really left and will leave a mark on me. I became more mature and got to know myself a lot better. I’m really grateful I got this opportunity and I can’t wait to put some things into practice.

TIPS for the coordinators.

The only thing that was a pity was that I sometimes felt I was losing precious time. As a lot of lessons were about things for primary education, I felt I didn’t really found them that useful all the time. Of course I can understand that there are choices to be made and when there’s only one student studying secondary education, primary comes first. I just really wanted to mention this.
I also would like to point out that you should get in touch with the international office of the HRO to tell them that there are rooms for 3 months.

I think that’s about it. Thank you all for your help, attention, care, etc. See you later!

Geen opmerkingen: